The first thing you should do is call the non-emergency number for the police department. An officer will be dispatched to the scene. If you request contact from the officer, s/he will work with you to find a solution to the problem. If you do not request contact, the officer will take the appropriate enforcement action that he or she can.

As in many cities, loud music and noise can become an issue for some residents. There are state laws and city ordinances to deal with loud music and noise. California Penal Code section 415 makes it unlawful to disturb the peace of another with unreasonable loud noise, which could include music. The Gonzales City Code makes it unlawful to have outside amplified music after 10:00 pm or anytime during the day or night when the music can be heard for more than 200 feet.

There are some things that you need to know before the officer can take enforcement action. The California Penal Code section that covers unreasonable loud noise (disturbing the peace) requires that the victim press charges. The courts have ruled that an officer can not take action under this section without a victim willing to press charges. If the officer determines that the person causing the loud noise or music is in violation of the Gonzales City Code, they can take enforcement action without having a complaint signed by the victim. In most cases, the officer will issue the offending party a citation that will require them to appear in court.