FILING YOUR BUSINESS LICENSE APPLICATION
A standard application form is used for all businesses. Please complete only applicable information. All applications must include either the FEIN or Social Security Number as your tax identification number. Contractors must also include their State Contractors License Number. Applications for all businesses involving food must be accompanied by a valid health permit. Retail businesses will need to provide a seller’s permit number. Home based businesses located within the City limits will also need a Home Occupation Permit, which is issued by the Planning Department.
- Complete a Business License Application
- Submit the application along with other applicable forms via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, mail, or front desk inside City Hall
- Pay fee in person, mail in a check, or pay over the phone by calling city hall
- Please be advised there is a $2 Convenience Fee for Credit/Debit Card payments.
- You will receive the business license by mail.
The owners of a business who use a fictitious name (one other than his/her own name) for their business must clear the fictitious name through the Monterey County Clerk’s Office 168 West Alisal Street, Salinas, CA 93901, (831) 755-5450.
STATE IDENTIFICATION NUMBER
All businesses are required to obtain a State Identification Number to report employee taxes to the State, 1-800-338-0505.
FEDERAL EMPLOYER IDENTIFICATION NUMBER
A Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN) may be obtained from the Internal Revenue Service 1-800-829-3676.
A Seller’s Permit Number is required for all persons selling tangible property which is subject to State Sales and Use Tax. A Seller’s Permit may be obtained from the California Department of Tax and Fee Administration (CDTFA).