If you are planning to conduct business in the City of Gonzales, you must first obtain a local Business License.  Businesses that are not physically located within the City limits, but are conducting business within the City of Gonzales are also required to obtain a local Business License. This includes but is not limited to selling within the City limits, delivering to a Gonzales address, conducting repairs, operating a home-based business, or providing services and using a Gonzales address as part of a business.

Filing Your Business License Application

A standard application form is used for all businesses. Please complete only applicable information. All applications must include either the FEIN or Social Security Number as your tax identification number. Contractors must also include their State Contractors License Number. Applications for all businesses involving food must be accompanied by a valid health permit. Retail businesses will need to provide a seller’s permit number. Home-based businesses located within the City limits will also need a Home Occupation Permit, which is issued by the Planning Department.


  1. Complete a Business License Application
  2. Submit the application along with other applicable forms via email to aflores@ci.gonzales.ca.us, mail, or front desk inside City Hall
  3. Pay the fee in person, mail in a check, or pay over the phone by calling city hall
    • Please be advised there is a $2 Convenience Fee for Credit/Debit Card payments.
  4. You will receive the business license by mail.

Fictitious Names

The owners of a business who use a fictitious name (one other than his/her own name) for their business must clear the fictitious name through the Monterey County Clerk’s Office 168 West Alisal Street, Salinas, CA 93901, (831) 755-5450.

State Identification Number

All businesses are required to obtain a State Identification Number to report employee taxes to the State, 1-800-338-0505.

Federal Employer Identification Number

A Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN) may be obtained from the Internal Revenue Service at 1-800-829-3676.

Seller’s Permit

A Seller’s Permit Number is required for all persons selling tangible property which is subject to State Sales and Use Tax. A Seller’s Permit may be obtained from the California Department of Tax and Fee Administration (CDTFA).

Renewal Notices are distributed by mail every Fiscal Year 

If you would like to renew your license please bring your renewal notice to City Hall's front desk and someone will help you process this. If you will like to pay your renewal fees over the phone or have any other questions please call City Hall (831) 675-5000.

Existing law requires the State Water Resources Control Board (State Water Board) and the California Regional Water Quality Control Boards (Regional Water Boards) to prescribe waste discharge requirements for the discharge of stormwater by municipalities and industries per the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit program established by the Federal Clean Water Act and the California Water Code. The existing law requires regulated municipalities and industries to obtain a stormwater permit. Senate Bill 205 (2019) requires a person applying to a city or county for a new or renewed business license to demonstrate enrollment under the NPDES Industrial Storm Water General Permit for each business location conducting regulated industrial activities.

The purpose of Senate Bill 205 is to ensure industrial businesses subject to regulation under the Industrial General Permit obtain coverage. Numerous applicable industrial businesses have not acquired coverage to discharge stormwater. This Bill aims to minimize unauthorized stormwater discharges and requires applicable industrial businesses to manage their stormwater before receiving or renewing their business license.

Senate Bill 205 was signed into law by Governor Newsom on October 2, 2019, and became effective on January 1, 2020.

Visit the California Legislative Information website and search for Bill Number “Senate Bill 205” in the 2019-2020 legislative session.

Special Notice

The California Disability Access and Education Fund Fee increases from $1 to $4 effective January 1, 2018, per California Assembly Bill 1379 (Amendment to California Senate Bill 1186)

Under federal and state law, compliance with disability access laws is a serious and significant responsibility that applies to all California building owners and tenants with buildings open to the public. You may obtain information about your legal obligations and how to comply with disability access laws at the following agencies:

The fee intends to increase disability access and compliance with construction-related accessibility requirements. Additionally, the fee assists local jurisdictions in supporting the Certified Access Specialist (CASp) Program and provides the Division of the State Architect (DSA) with funds to maintain oversight of the CASp program.

California Government Code: Disability Access and Education

How do I's