The Gonzales Fire Department is committed to providing fire prevention and suppression to the residents of our City and Rural Fire District in a friendly, cost-effective manner to ensure the safety of our residents and businesses. The Department continues to work collaboratively with other public safety agencies to maintain the highest quality of service and serve those in our diverse community.
The Gonzales Fire Department has been able to improve on providing safety services to the public, 24 hours a day and 365 days a year, in a safe and effective manner.
The Gonzales Fire Department has experienced continuous growth in size throughout the years. As of the first quarter of 2018, The Department has fifteen firefighters and is looking to acquire more. Of those firefighters, four are full-time employees (one Fire Chief and three Engineers) as compared to in 2017 where there were only two. With this many firefighters, The Gonzales Fire Department has been able to establish a “Shift Program.” The “Shift Program” ensures that the fire station is staffed with at least two fire personnel at all times and are ready to respond promptly to emergencies. Prior to 2018, firefighters would respond from home and staff fire apparatus when paged. With these improvements, The Gonzales Fire Department has been able to have some of the quickest response times in the Salinas Valley.
To better improve the quality of Gonzales Fire Department Firefighters, Gonzales Fire Chief Jason Muscio has put forth several of the first educational initiatives. All Gonzales Firefighters are trained to the standard established by the California State Fire Marshal - Firefighter I curriculum. Training has evolved from being done solely in-house, to be able to be accomplished via online training as well as training provided in a classroom at nearby training facilities. This training enables your Gonzales Firefighters to not only fulfill continuing education requirements but ISO (Insurance Services Office) and California State requirements as well.
The Gonzales Fire Department is proud to serve and respond to the needs of Gonzales and its surrounding communities.
- Continue to search out grant opportunities to assist the City with maintaining and replacing Fire Department equipment
- Work towards increasing the Volunteer Firefighting force to 20 members
- Continue to work collaboratively with other public safety agencies to ensure that the residents of our City are receiving the best public safety services available, such as the Auto-Aid Agreements Continue instruction in CPR, First Aid, and disaster preparedness to our residents and businesses to ensure Gonzales is prepared for an emergency
- Continue to expand the Volunteer Firefighter shift program in an effort to provide 24 hours a day coverage
- Continue to perform all duties of the Fire Marshall including business inspections, fire investigations, and all other prevention activities
- Continue to train Firefighters towards Firefighter 1 certification